As I continue on my documentation of old vehicles in Singapore, sometimes I may just dig out various models which I never thought still existed here at that point in time. This 1993 Nissan Diesel Resona CWA53HMN was naturally a pleasant surprise for me!
The Nissan Diesel Resona was first introduced in 1979, replacing the previous heavy-duty C-series. Its name was derived from 'resonance' as its turbo intake system utilised a resonance intake method. It originally featured 4 round headlights but underwent a facelift in 1983 to rectangular headlights. Along the way, minor changes were also done on the position of the signal lamps and the 'Resona' name was dropped from the truck. Various sizes and engine sizes were offered, from 4-wheeled to 8-wheeled versions.
This particular tow truck was known as type CW (6x4 layout); it was powered by a whopping 15,115 cc RE8 V8 engine and weighed 9930 kg, with a maximum laden weight of 24,000 kg. I am not exactly sure of the significance of the 'A53HMN' notation, though it may be a hint to its tow truck function.
Production of the Resona ended in 1990 though they continued to be built up to the early 1990s. In Japan, there was an additional facelift with the removal of the side deflectors and grille design, though export markets appeared to not be affected by the final facelift. As most commercial vehicles are only given a lifespan of 20 years, having this relic survive back in 2021 was a stroke of luck as older tow trucks tend not to have any lifespan expiry for some reason.
It was my first time seeing this unique workhorse up close, and by some stroke of luck I saw it in action in 2022, where it was deployed to tow a 1996 Mitsubishi Fuso concrete pump! Unfortunately, both vehicles do not appear to be registered any more. I am not aware of any surviving units of the Resona in Singapore at least; the only occasion would be units driven in from Malaysia. While the Resona may be physically here, I hope this has preserved its existence for you to admire!





No comments:
Post a Comment